Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Angela's Result: Surrounded by Design CRIT PLZ

My result after trying out the "Surrounded by Design" art exercise.  My original photo looked like this:



The layered leaves with the color shifting areas caught my eye first.  I immediately thought of the ruffles of a dress.  The curled leaves in the top right also made me think of underwater kelp.  Dress ruffles won out, however, after arranging parts of this photo ended up with the white fronds looking like an Elizabethan collar.




Created in Photoshop CS2 using a Cintiq 12WX.

I'm rather excited by the result!  This image went by much faster than my other digital pieces because I had a base for the texture.  It could still use some touching up, but I'm otherwise pleased with the spontaneity of coming up with ideas this way!  

CRIT PLZ:  Her arms feel bare to me. Should I add something more to them?  More filigree armbands?  Should I add more to the background or does the ambiguous patterns work?  Anything else I can do to make this more interesting, should I spruce it up for a portfolio piece?

I hope others try this exercise. It was tons of fun!  It's a bit like an artist's Rorschach test.  What do YOU see in that shape?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that is gorgeous!
    I think the background works perfectly - anything more would just compete with the character.
    My only criticism: the hat and the skirt have the most detail and color, so my eyes keep bouncing back and forth between them. The pose creates some movement across and down, but I think it would help to strengthen that - either through adjusting the lighting to give the eye a clearer path, or by adding detail to the arms (or maybe even just the fan).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great feedback, Erin. Thanks! I think you are right on track with all that you said. I'll have a better idea once I come back round to this again.

      Delete